VIEW A .PDF VERSION HERE.
New Jersey (December 2007)
New York (January 2008)
District of Columbia (May 2009)
THE GEORGE WASHINGTON UNIVERSITY LAW SCHOOL, Wash., DC
Master of Laws in Intellectual Property, With Highest Honors, December 2009
- GPA 3.73 (Top 5%)
- Visiting Student, The Georgetown University Law Center: GPA 4.00
- Member, Cyberlaw Students Association and Student Intellectual Property Organization
Juris Doctor, May 2007
- GPA 3.36
- Associate Editor, Villanova Environmental Law Journal
- Participant, Reimel Moot Court Competition
- Volunteer Legal Aid, The Innocence Project, New Orleans, LA
- President, Villanova Justinian Society; Member, Intellectual Property and Pro Bono Societies
Bachelor of Science in Law and Justice, Magna Cum Laude, May 2004
- GPA 3.69; Transferred from Drew University, Madison, NJ: GPA 3.83
- Member, Dean’s List, Golden Key and Alpha Phi Sigma National Honor Societies
- Intern, Mercer County Prosecutor’s Office, Trenton, NJ; Megan’s Law and Economic Crimes Units
SILVERBERG, GOLDMAN & BIKOFF LLP, Wash., DC
Staff Attorney, December 2008 - Present
- Research and synthesize legal authority to draft complaints, notices, motions, and memoranda of law on matters involving copyrights, trademarks, domain names, professional responsibility and the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure and Evidence.
- Manage global domain name portfolios; counsel brand owners in trademark-based domain name dispute resolution; research, prepare and review official filings and position papers with the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers.
- Assist in preparing, filing and prosecuting federal trademark applications at the USPTO.
- Research and evaluate developments in international intellectual property law, reporting on the same to the International Trademark Association and European Communities Trade Mark Association.
Trademark Legal Intern, August 2008 - December 2008
- Assisted attorneys in trademark application examination by researching legal authority and collecting evidence in support of office actions relating to descriptiveness and likelihood of confusion.
Associate, January 2008 – August 2008
- Counseled clients on a variety of matters including trademark infringement and prosecution, cyberpiracy, copyrightable subject matter, commercial fraud, estate administration and real estate transactions.
Volunteer Attorney, January 2008 – August 2008
- Counseled pro bono clients on arts-related legal issues including copyright work for hire agreements, rights to publicity and fair use of copyrights and trademarks.
Summer Associate, May 2006 - August 2006, Offer Extended
- Conducted research on legal authority and conferred with clients to draft motions, supporting affidavits and memoranda of law for firm's personal injury defense practice.
Judicial Intern for the Hon. James M. Blaney, May 2005 - August 2005
- Conducted research on legal authority and provided mediation for litigants in drafting bench briefs and preliminary rulings for the family division of the court.
- Phillip V. Marano, MODICUM OF CREATIVITY, available from www.modicumofcreativity.com (2007-2010).
- Co-Author, Hauling In The Middleman: Contributory Trade Mark Infringement In North America, JOURNAL OF INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY LAW & PRACTICE, 2010 5: 332-343.
- Co-Author, Contributory Trademark Infringement In the United States: Contrasting Akanoc Solutions With eBay, NAMESMASH, April 20, 2010.
- Phillip V. Marano, Impact of PRO IP Act on Evidentiary Value of Copyright Registration Certificate, ABA ANNUAL REVIEW OF INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY DEVELOPMENTS 2009, 304 (2010).
- Co-Author, The UDRP Turns 10, WORLD TRADEMARK REVIEW, Issue 20 August/September 2009.
- Co-Author, The U.S. Experience, WORLD TRADEMARK REVIEW, Issue 21, 50 (October/November 2009) (Appearing in Julian Gyngell, Smart Thinking on Phonewords, WORLD TRADEMARK REVIEW, Issue 21, 47 (October/November 2009)).
- Phillip V. Marano, WORLD TRADEMARK REVIEW DAILY, regular co-author / contributor:
- Vodka and Wine Are Unrelated, Says TTAB (November 17, 2009).
- Trademark Owners Urged to Beware of Phoneword Disputes (July 31, 2009).
- Proposal for eUDRP Released for Public Comment (July 23, 2009).
- Test for Descriptiveness Clarified in URBANHOUZING Case (June 26, 2009).
- International Trademark Association (INTA)
- American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA)
- American Bar Association (ABA), Intellectual Property Law Section.
- New York State Bar Association (NYSBA), Intellectual Property Law Section.
- District of Columbia Bar Association (DCBAR), Intellectual Property Law Section.
LANGUAGE SKILLS & INTERESTS
- Intermediate French in speaking, reading and writing French.
- Proficiency with WestLaw, LexisNexis Legal, PACER, LexisNexis Time Matters, CT Coresearch, Thompson CompuMark SAEGIS, Microsoft Office and several Open Source platforms.
- Played NCAA Division III Basketball.